The Shrink Sleeve Label Solution That Will Contribute to Improved PET Recycling
Wednesday, February 15, 2023
9:00 AM - 9:30 AM (EST)
Amelia Ballroom 3 & 4
- There exists a heightened awareness of the detrimental impact of single-use plastics on the environment as plastic pollution. Sizeable organizations have spotlighted the extent of this plastic pollution and its negative effects on the planet and have called on major brand owners to commit to solutions that will address the concern of the growing volume of plastic waste.
- Traditional PETG heat-shrink films (HSF) on PET containers are problematic in the current recycling culture and are classified as problematic in PET recycling.
- Crystallizable heat shrink film + APR Recognized washable inks is one of only two recognized label designs for the labeling of PET containers, and the only one that contributes to the circular economy (the differentiator)
- Crystallizable heat shrink film is an innovation over the traditional PETG heat shrink film in that it will not contribute to the clumping of PET flake in the recovery process. This is beneficial in that it offers an increase in yield of usable PET flake that is necessary to have as recycle content in a PET container.
- The recent development of a crystallizable heat shrink film offers an innovative heat shrink film with comparable properties to traditional PETG heat shrink film. Producers of traditional heat shrink sleeves should experience a seamless transition to heat shrink sleeves composed of crystallizable film.
- This innovation will allow package designers to continue to use heat shrink sleeves on PET containers sleeves without contributing to plastic waste.